Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural Headwear

I watched the Inauguration today at work. Our Governmental Affairs office served cake and coffee and put the show up on the big screens for everyone to watch. It was standing room only and many couldn't even get in the door. I was glad they turned the lights off because I shed a few tears, and it's hard to show emotion when you are among co-workers.

There were cheers and applause from the assembled group at all the appropriate times - which was a pleasant surprise to me. I live in a very red state and generally most of the people I work with tend to be a very conservative lot. It's great to see that so many are putting partisanship aside and are hopeful for the new administration.

I loved the message of hope and virtue, and of the promise and price of citizenship.

The poem painted a vivid picture for me. I enjoyed reading it afterwards as much as I did hearing it the first time. If you missed it, you can read it here. Be sure to see the cute cardi nose in the blog's header.

But I also loved the hats. Right off the bat - there was Aretha with the big rhinestone studded bow. Then I saw Bush 41 looking like Nanuck of the North. Babs wore sensible ear muffs. Darth Vader looked as evil as ever. Jay Z had a more sophisticated Nanuck look.






No comments: