Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Commercial Interruption

Here's something I used in the whelping box that worked really well - a seed-starting mat. It heats to 95 degrees (lower than a heating pad) and stays at that temp.  During the first week and a half, the pups stayed on the side of the box where this mat was under the pad.  A few days ago, I noticed they were moving to the other side of the box, so I turned it off.  After I turned it off, they spread out over the whole box, so it must have been too warm for them.

I learned about this at a puppy seminar I went to.  I found it on Amazon, and in my usual "more is more" mentality, I bought the largest size, big enough for 4 seed flats.  (If you look at pictures I have posted previously, you see the excess mat flap above the pig rail.)  I think the 20 x 20 size is perfect.  I also bought the thermostat, but as it turned out, I just kept it at the 95 degree temp, so really all it provided me was reassurance that it was warm when I could look down at the thermostat on the floor and see the digital readout. 

Also, if you don't have a supply of bed pads (the ones that are used in hospitals and nursing homes) - GET SOME!  They are great for so many uses, but especially for dog bedding.  They are often sold in bundles at dog shows.

2 comments:

Sherilyn said...

Great idea!! Thanks for the tip! :)

penni said...

I will get one for the next litter -- when I pull my house back together and am emotionally able to THINK about another litter. The bed pads are also available from a developmentally disabled group -- mail order. Barb Peterson gave me that contact.